In May 1955, the Green Ridge Forestry Camp for Boys in Allegany County opened. The camp was originally operated by the State Department of Public Welfare in cooperation with the State Department of Forests and Parks. In 1977, the camp was renamed Green Ridge Youth Center (GRYC).
GRYC currently serves male youth who have been ordered by the courts to receive treatment services. The treatment program serves male youth and typically lasts six to nine months. GRYC provides dietary, medical, educational and counseling services as well as space for recreation. In addition to receiving services, youth residing at GYRC attend school in the facility year round, five days a week for six hours a day.
Historical content courtesy of the Maryland State Archives.