FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


COVID-19 Information and FAQ​

​DJS COVID-19 Hotline


This recording will be updated as needed with current information related to outbreaks of confirmed cases of COVID-19 among staff and youth in DJS facilities.​


My son/daughter was arrested and referred to the Department of Juvenile Services. What happens now?


You will receive a letter for an intake appointment at a local Department of Juvenile Services office. The intake worker will interview you, the child, and the victim (if there is one). Once complete, the intake worker can do one of the following three things:

  • Resolve the case. No further action is taken on the case and no more contact with the Department of Juvenile Services.
  • Give the youth an Informal Adjustment. When the Department of Juvenile Services, the youth, and family enter into an agreement to provide services to the youth and family. Services may include counseling, drug treatment, or supervision without court involvement. If the youth is successful then the case is closed. If they are not successful the case is sent to the State's Attorney's Office.
  • Formalize the case. This moves the case to the next step of the process. The local State's Attorney​ will review all the paperwork for the case and will either take the case to court or will dismiss the case.

What do terms like commitment and probation mean?


Probation: Court-order​ed supervision of youth in the community requiring youth to meet court-ordered​ probation conditions such as school attendance, employment, community service, restitution, counseling, or participation in substance abuse treatment.

Commitment: Is when a court orders a youth who was found delinquent in the Department of Juvenile Services care. The youth is placed in an out of home treatment program to receive treatment​ services.


​Will my son/daughter be attending school while in detention?


Yes. The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) operates the educational services within all the Department of Juvenile Services operated detention committed facilities. The MSDE, Juvenile Services Education (JSE) program provides core instruction in Mathematics, Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science, and General Equivalency Diploma (GED) preparation programs.

Visit the Maryland State Department of Education Juvenile Services Education website.

What is the daily schedule for youth in a detention/committed facility?


​In both detention and committed facilities a typical day includes scheduled time for education, treatment groups, meals, exercise, and structured leisure time. The type of programming varies based upon the type of facility and the needs of the youth. Family members are encouraged to contact the youth’s facility Case Management Specialist to learn more about the activities for their particular youth.

Whom do I contact about my son/daughter’s treatment plan?


​The youth’s Case Management Specialist is the primary contact for information related to a particular youth’s treatment plan. When a youth is in the community the primary contact is the youth’s Community Case Management Specialist. When a youth is in a facility the primary contact is the youth’s Facility Case Management Specialist.

Will you contact me if something happens to my son/daughter?


​Yes. The parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian of a youth involved in an incident must be notified within two hours of an incident that threatens the safety of a youth. Based upon the nature of the incident other entities may also be notified.

​When is my son/daughter coming home?


This is a complex decision that is not made exclusively by Department of Juvenile Services. The department works with the courts, families, and service providers in this process.

If a youth is pending adjudication (trial), the court may detain a youth on a temporary basis in a physically restricting (or secure) facility pending court disposition of the case.

Learn more about the detention process.

After adjudication (trial) on a ​matter, and after considering the most appropriate program and treatment services for the youth, the court will determine if the youth will be placed in the community, a staff secure facility, or a hardware secure facility.

Learn more about Department of Juvenile Services committed programs.