Thomas J.S. Waxter Children's Center
Thomas J.S. Waxter Children's Center (Waxter) was originally named the Southern Maryland Children's Center. The facility was renamed in 1963 to honor Thomas J.S. Waxter, the Director of the State Department of Public Welfare from 1953 until his death in 1962.
While Waxter previously served both secure detention and secure committed treatment populations of female youth, the Department of Juvenile Services closed the secure treatment program for girls in December 2011. Waxter now only serves as a secure detention center for female youth.
Waxter provides dietary, medical, educational and counseling services as well as space for recreation. In addition to receiving services, youth residing at Waxter attend school in the facility year round, five days a week for six hours a day.
Historical content courtesy of the Maryland State Archives.